MISSOURI PTA LEGISLATIVE PLATFORM 2017
These legislative priorities are based on the issues that the Missouri PTA Legislative Department expects to target for the 2017 legislative session. As unexpected issues emerge, Missouri PTA will act in accordance with the resolution and position statements that have been approved by the membership. A complete list of resolutions and position statements are available on our website (www.mopta.org).
Missouri PTA supports:
- Legislation that protects and calls for local control of schools.
- Legislation to strengthen laws designed to protect minors from abuse and increase funding for programs and services aimed at the prevention of child abuse, neglect and maltreatment.
- Legislation that supports increased access to mental health services for children.
- Opposition to tax credits or tax deductions for tuition paid by a parent or sponsors for non-public elementary or secondary school children.
- Enforcement of legislation requiring school districts to have policies that promote increased parental engagement in their children’s education.
- Legislation that will maintain or generate local and state funding for public education.
- Legislation that will safeguard the educational and personal records of students.
- Legislation that would protect children and youth from being discriminated against based on race, religion or sexual orientation.
Missouri State PTA Office
2101 Burlington Street
Columbia, MO. 65202